Saturday, July 14, 2012

Cosas Aprendidos

I have literally been holding back tears all day. I didn't realize that Spain, and especially Madrid, were going to have such a special place in my heart. I have absolutely fallen in love with this city, especially my neighborhood, and I am so upset about leaving. Though I miss my friends and family, it is very tough having to leave such a wonderful place. My house mom has been amazing, more than I could have ever asked for, and getting to know the culture of the neighborhood has given me insight into Spanish culture, and not from a tourist's point of view. I have gotten to see what life is like for the people of Madrid, with my host mom, and with some very generous other host families as well. I think that is why it is so hard to leave. I didn't just visit Spain, I lived here, and that is what has made it so special. I am never going to forget any of these people, and am incredibly thankful to have had this experience. It was so much more than I imagined, so much more than a classroom, so much more than just learning a language. I can't even explain the impact this summer has had, but I wish that everyone was able to have such a wonderful opportunity. The time flew by, and I wish there was more. I can say with complete confidence that I will return to Madrid, because I won't be able to stay away for long. On a lighter note, I thought I would do a list of things I learned here.

Probably not the most important things I have learned, but the things that are definitely going to stick with me:
Bebidas gratis: free drinks.
Croquetas are amazing.
Kalúa helado is heavenly.
Kapital gives out high quality bags.
Go to Gabana on a Wednesday.
Arriba, abajo, al centro, adentro.

Me encanta Madrid.

No comments:

Post a Comment